This tutorial explains how to set up a remote monitor (RM) workstation for Shell 3 on a Windows 7 server and a Windows XP client.
To identify the IP address and subnet mask of the RM workstation, perform the following steps.
1. Click the Start tab on the bottom left of the screen.
2. Open Configuration.
3. Double-click the Network Settings icon.
4. Under the TCP/IP tab, identify the IP address and subnet mask. The information in the screen below is an example of what you will see.
NOTE: We recommend that you write down the RM workstation settings for the IP address and the subnet mask.
Configure Host PC
1. Open the Control Panel by clicking on the start button in the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Click on System and Security.
3. Under System, click on Allow Remote Access.
Under Remote Desktop
1. Select the radio button that says “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop.”
2. Click on Apply.
3. Click on Select Users.
For this exercise, the user name is “PM_DEMO”. This user name is already set up as an allowed user.
4. Click OK to close the window.
5. Click OK again.
6. Go back to the Control Panel.
7. Click on Network and Internet.
8. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
9. Click on Local Area Connection.
10. In the Local Area Connection Status dialog box, click on Properties.
11. Highlight the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) line by clicking on it, then click Properties.
12. Select the radio button that says “Use the following IP address”
13. Enter an IP address similar to the IP address that you assigned to the RM workstation. This IP address is typically the same number as the one you previously assigned and have written down for reference, except that the last digit is different. You can either create your own IP address or use one assigned by your company.
NOTE: We recommend that you write down the server (host PC) workstation settings for the IP address.
14. Enter the same Subnet Mask that you used before.
15. Click OK to close the window.
16. Click Close.
17. Click Close again.
Back to the remote monitor
To create a profile connection on the RM workstation, perform the following steps.
1. In the Settings window, click the Profile tab.
2. Click the New RDP button.
3. Enter a name. In this case, we will use “TEST”. Click OK.
The Remote Desktop Connection window will pop up. Perform the following steps under the General tab.
1. Enter the computer name in the Computer field. Here we will type in the IP address of the server (host PC). If you have previously typed in an IP address, it will be available in a drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can enter a string of alphanumeric characters assigned by your company as the computer name.
2. Enter the user name in the User name field. For this example, it is “PM_DEMO”.
3. Click the Save button.
4. Click Connect.
5. Click Connect again.
6. Enter your user name. For example, “PM_DEMO”.
7. Enter your password to access the host PC. The password for this example is “pfdemo”.
You should now be running a session from the host PC.
NOTE: To end the session on your RM workstation, click on the X at the top right in the pinned blue bar that contains the server IP address, then click OK.